29 May 2011

Struggle


Hey I have been told to write on here and so I thought I would give a little introduction about my self. My name is Tyson, and I live in Denver. I have been going to Scum of the Earth Church for a few years now and really enjoy the community that it has allowed to be involved with. I live in a house with several other people who go to Scum and through that house we are trying to do a lot of ministry. We are seeking together to serve the neighborhood that we are in and that Scum is in seeing that our house is just a few blocks away from the church. I really enjoy the idea of living in the same neighborhood as your church and being able to walk to church. Serving this neighborhood means serving everyone in it. That includes the people who own the house down the street, the people who rent the apartment across the street and the homeless person who sleeps behind your dumpster.

That’s where this trip and my life line up. In Glasgow we are going to be working a lot with the homeless and it will be an invaluable experience that will allow me to be a better servant to people who live in my neighborhood. I fully expect it to be tough and challenging. But God has been teaching me a lot about challenge lately. I used to run with the phrase “pursue something till God closes the door.” But recently it seems like God has been “closing doors” just so that I can learn to kick them in. I read a quote the other day from a Jesuit missionary named Father Lallemant who said “we must be weary when things are going too smoothly. That is the time when no progress is made.”

The build up to this trip has had a lot of struggle. We got surprised with expensive visas and have somewhat of hard time fundraising. But though it God has been constant and I feel as though I am at a place of greater reliance on Him because of the hardships and stressfulness in this time than I would have been if things had gone completely smoothly. It feels as though it’s been a testing process for what God has in store.

Thank you to everyone who has prayed for us and has been supporting us in this process. I am incredibly thankful to the community that has been surrounding us and lifting us up. Please continue to do so as we go a week from tomorrow, and spend 28 days serving God in Glasgow.

No comments:

Post a Comment